This article describes the steps to create a Wi-Fi hotspot in Windows 10.
Do you know you can use your Windows 10 laptop as a wireless hotspot to share its Internet connection with others?
Some laptops come with a built-in mobile network adapter as well as a Wi-Fi interface.
If you’re in a remote location where only a mobile network is available, you can connect to the mobile network via your built-in mobile interface and share your Wi-Fi adapter with others.
This setup allows other devices to connect to your laptop Internet without a separate network and allows you to share an Internet connection you’ve made with another interface, such as to a wired network or over the cellular network.
This also works if you’re on a wired network and want to share a hotspot with others. With this setup, you must plug your Windows 10 laptop into the wired network. (Ethernet), then enable the Hotspot on your Wi-Fi adapter to share with others.
To get started, follow the steps below:
While your laptop is connected to a mobile network or a wired connection (Ethernet):
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.
- For Share, my Internet connection, choose the Internet connection you want to share.
- Select Edit > enter a new network name and password > Save.
- Turn on Share my Internet connection with other devices.
- To connect to the other device, go to the Wi-Fi settings on that device, find your network name, select it, enter the password, and then connect.
Your Wi-Fi adapter that isn’t connected to any network should be ready to enable Hotspot. Remember, one other network device needs to already be connected to a network with Internet access.
This other device can be a built-in mobile network or a wired connection adapter.
After that, others should now be able to connect to your laptop hotspot.
A network name (SSID) and security key are automatically generated. The network name will be the one you created setting up the Hotspot.
Other devices need this information to connect to the Hotspot you’ve just created.
Congratulations! You have successfully created Windows 10 Hotspot to share with other systems.